The Seahawks didn’t look great on Thursday night, but if you’re going to lay an egg it’s best to do it in pre-season rather than a month later.
The Chicago Bears gave the Seattle a 27-11 loss in the Hawks’ only pre-season game at Lumen Field for 2022, and there weren’t many highlights for the home team in any of the three stages.
Unfortunately, there was news of the match from Seattle in the form of a possible injury. More on that when we get to the quick facts from the game.
What you need to know
• Seahawks’ third-year left keeper Damien Lewis, perhaps Seattle’s best offensive lineman, was taken off the field with his leg in the air in the first half. The Seahawks said during the match that he sustained an ankle injury, a troubling development for a team with a renewed offensive streak. Head coach Pete Carroll followed up on his post-match comments with this Lewis has a ‘lateral sprained ankle’ And that they were “very, very lucky” after the X-ray of the injury was negative for a fracture.
X-rays came back negative. It is a lateral sprain of the ankle. pic.twitter.com/myNkj1ytSS
– Seattle Seahawks August 19, 2022
• With Drew Lock unavailable due to a positive COVID-19 test revealed on Tuesday afternoon, Geno Smith started his second straight game of the season with the Seahawks. Although his numbers weren’t great, he played better than they suggest and was not helped by falls and generally uneven play due to the Seattle attack. Carroll said Smith had a bruised knee, adding that Smith could have returned to the game if Seattle had needed him.
Carroll said Locke, meanwhile, has been hit hard by COVID-19, which could further complicate QB’s situation in Seattle with a preparatory final coming up next Friday.
• Star Seahawks wide receivers DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett both started playing the opening series in Seattle only. Neither of them appeared on the stats sheet in what was their first pre-season job.
• Charles Cross, the 2022 NFL Top Pick for the Seahawks (No. 9 overall), had a tough night in the penalty area. He was reported five times, including four false starts, three of which were in the first half.
• Rookie Passher Boye Mafe, a second-round pick and notable in the Seahawks’ first preseason game, was briefly halted in the first half with a shoulder. He went to the locker room to take care of the injury but returned to the field in the second quarter.
• New Seahawks fullback Eiji Igbonewe stopped short of fourth and goal from 1 in the fourth quarter to prevent relegation and return the ball to Seattle. Iyiegbuniwe came to Seattle as a free agent from the Bears this off season.
We can all appreciate a brick wall at the goal line 💪🧱 Tweet embed
– NFL (NFL) August 19, 2022
Notable Seahawks stats
Smith completed 10 of 18 passes for 112 yards without touching or intercepting. He was sacked twice for 16 yards lost.
Jacob Eason played the second half in QB for Seattle. Producer UW Huskies completed 17 of 35 attempts for 141 yards, with no touchdowns or interceptions, and was fired once for a nine-yard loss.
Travis Homer raced the Seahawks with 44 yards on five gigs. Darwin Thompson added 34 yards on six gigs, including the only landing in Seattle.
bombed in @DTRAINN5. 😤
– Seattle Seahawks August 19, 2022
Running back Deejay Dallas was the main receiver for either team, pulling four catches for 52 yards.
Marquis Blair made nine interventions to lead the Seahawks. Rookies Mafe and Coby Bryant added five each.
Tanner Moss and Miles Adams both had a bag for hawks.
Kicker Jason Myer went 1-for-2 in field goals, making a 27-yard goal.
Michael Dixon made 10 jumps for 474 yards and a length of 60.
Next for the Seahawks
Seattle pre-season will wrap up at 5 p.m. Friday, August 26 when they head to Texas to face the Dallas Cowboys. Coverage will be on Seattle Sports 710AM, KIRO Newsradio 97.3 FM, and the rest of the Seahawks Radio Network, starting with a pre-game show at 3PM.
#Fast #Facts #Seahawks #lost #Bears #preseason #Lewis #injured #Seattle #Sports